You’re already managing your patients’ chronic conditions. Time to get paid for it.
Well, I’ve got good news. First: as you are no doubt a ware, Medicare began paying for chronic care management (CCM) in 2015. Finally, financial recognition for the significant attention and time primary care physicians spend attempting to manage the chronic health issues of their patients. I say “attempting” because, from speaking with so many Hello Health customers over the years, I know that many providers struggle to balance the 24/7 needs of these patients within the huge scope of their duties, especially considering that much of the necessary, but very time-consuming patient communication, has not previously been billable to Medicare.
The Good News
So, the game has changed, but the catch is that we’re talking about a game that, resource-wise, is stacked against the average primary care physician. Here’s a high-level look at the elements defining the current requirements for CCM services. Physicians must provide:
- Access to non-face-to-face care management services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (at least 20 minutes per month).
- Continuity of care.
- Care management for chronic conditions, including the following:
- Systematic assessment of a patient’s medical, functional, and psychosocial needs,
- System-based approaches to ensure timely receipt of all recommended preventive care services,
- Medication reconciliation with review of adherence and potential interactions,
- Oversight of patient self-management of medications.
- Creation of a patient-centered care plan document to ensure that care is provided in a way that is congruent with patient choices and values.
- Coordination with specialists, as well as home- and community-based clinical service providers.
- Enhanced opportunities for a patient and any relevant caregiver to communicate with the provider regarding the beneficiary’s care.
All of that seems fairly straightforward but, as we have learned from our customers, the time and financial resources required to background check, hire and train a certified medical assistant (CMA), create internal systems and protocols for monthly calls to patients, and then document the calls in an EHR… it’s a lot.
The Great News
The great news is that we can make it easy for you. New revenue from CCM could meaningfully change your bottom line. Therefore, we’re very pleased to introduce our new CCM offering. Here’s what it includes:
- Provider/patient secure messaging for non-face-to-face consultation methods.
- Real-time management of monthly invested and remaining CCM beneficiary consulting time through our call center staffed with certified medical assistants.
- Auditable tracking of time invested per patient (greatly reducing risk during a RAC audit).
- Patient appointment management (requests cancellations, changes, pre-registrations, eCheck-In).
- EHR/portal electronic exchange enabling CCM-required document sharing and cross-continuum care coordination.
- Electronic referral management between participating providers.
- Beneficiary consent and attestation templates.
We feel CCM is right in our wheelhouse, and we’re prepared to guide current customers and non-customers through the process step by step. Contact Steven Ferguson, CCM Wellbox team leader, today at 844.602.1690 and let’s get started.
The Wellbox solution helps you be reimbursed for providing ongoing care to your Medicare patients with chronic conditions.